Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fall Crafting Season is officially here



Too bad the chill in the air only last until the sun begins to shine each morning. It is going to be 98F this weekend. I just want a nice 60 degree day to bake bread and make comfort foods.

In honor of a somewhat cool day last week, only got into the 70's I decided to make myself a hat. Yes, I could buy one that was made in China for allot less, but that is not my style.



I found a decent pattern on Etsy and first made a fedora.
Unfortunately It is a little small, good thing I used inexpensive fabric instead of the wool I want for a final hat. Regardless I think it is very cute, and it is going to Etsy as a sample product. The hat is for someone with a 22.5" head, my head is bigger, good thing I have big hair to balance it all out.
Hat #2 is an Irish cap, it is to big... just a little to big. Yet despite things I want to change it is really cute, I cannot wait to make a perfect one to wear everywhere.
I did not get photos yet, so I'll just wait until I make a second hat with a better fit before I show it off.
I ordered yet another patter from Etsy , and older vogue hat pattern, still waiting for it to arrive, it shipped from Australia so it may take a bit of time.
In other news from the Oak Forest, it is harvest time, and although I have the tiniest garden ever I still managed to put away a fair amount of tomatos and pickles. Plus I just got myself a Lil Chief smoker and and making a big ol batch of venison and elk jerky. YUM! Thank you to my family who provided my meat :)

2 comments:

  1. Really great results.Ver proffessional.
    Isn't it funny with hats..they all vary very slightly from 22 to 23 inches. I made a lot of hats a few years ago and measured a lot of heads which didn't vary much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jackie, it is funny how the smallest increment makes such a big difference in a hat.

    I just got my new pattern, it has one hat I am really excited about. It is a 2003 Vogue pattern, a fedora like hat with a two toned crown, and an interesting brim. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete